Process and Timeline 2019-2020
Committee Charge: The Superintendent's School Consolidation Advisory Committee will be responsible to meet the following charge:
- Become fully informed on the District’s current and future financial situation, issues, and challenges and consider strategies to maintain the District in a sound fiscal condition.
- Become fully informed on the District’s current and future demographics as they relate to enrollment and school boundaries.
- Consider all schools for potential closure for consolidation, considering the positive and negative factors and variables (location, capacity, programs, community impact, etc.) for each school.
- Consider the potential for each school to host educational programs that would maintain or enhance enrollment and provide educational programs to meet the diverse needs and interests of students, families, and staff.
- Develop and utilize criteria and demographic data to base its recommendations on the most appropriate schools for closure or consolidation.
- Based on this criteria and data, provide the Superintendent recommendations on new school boundary areas, educational programs offered at specific sites, including Dual Language Immersion, and other factors which could maintain or improve enrollment in the District and its schools.
- Identify and recommend schools for closure
- Develop specific transition support plans for any schools recommended for closure.
- Provide recommendation on schools to close including boundaries and potential transportation to the Superintendent by the end of January 2020.
Data Gathering, Consultants, and Advisors
The Superintendent will retain a facilitator, a demographer, and a communications consultant, and other advisors as necessary to assist with the following:
- Facilitation: To ensure an objective process, an outside facilitator will be retained to support the Committee, the Superintendent, and the Board’s efforts.
- Demographics: To ensure accurate enrollment projections and enrollment analytics. To review and project population trends, demographics, and likely student enrollment data, now and in the future.
- Communications: To ensure an effective communication plan that outlines the delivery of the specific details of school closure and consolidation to staff, students, teachers, parents, and the general public. To ensure on-going and regular communication with all stakeholders.
Staff: The role of ESD administration and staff will be to:
- To provide needed information and support to the Committee to achieve its outcomes.
- To participate as stakeholders and active participants in the process.
- The Educational Services Committee will focus on anything related to teaching and learning, instructional materials, school libraries, educational programs, etc.
- The Human Resources Committee will focus on anything related to staffing, contract agreements, transfers, layoffs, etc.
- The Business Committee will focus on anything related to budget, facilities, space, technology, nutrition services, maintenance and operations of school facilities, transportation, etc.
Factors Considered: The Superintendent's School Consolidation Advisory Committee will consider the following factors and others determined relevant:
- Financial impact
- Enrollment impact
- Facilities impacts
- Transportation Impacts
- School attendance boundary impacts
- Program impacts
- Grade configurations
- Identify positive and negative impacts and variables on schools considered for potential closure and consolidation
- Determine current and future enrollment projections and impacts on space and school capacities
- Review and consider the capacity and condition of school facilities, including maintenance and operating costs, potential modernization costs or investments made, and other factors
- Consider unique educational programs and facilities at each site
- Evaluate specific schools for closures
- Identify school sites and transportation options for any students displaced due to a school closure or consolidation
- Consider costs and benefits of potential impacts of closed properties and alternative use options for the various sites and or disposition of facilities
- Recommend school transition plans and strategies for any school recommended for closure or consolidation
- Make specific recommendations regarding specific school sites
- Determine facility characteristics and potential advantages or disadvantages for each site for educational uses
- Consider the impact of environmental factors such as transportation impacts, etc.
- Consider neighborhood impacts of school closures and consolidation
- Consider the proximity of schools belonging to other Districts or Charter schools.
- Consider attractiveness of site for alternative use
- Consider future residential development within District boundaries
- Consider ethnic balance
- Consider safety issues
- Consider educational program impacts of school closure and consolidation
- Consider the number of students affected by school closure and consolidation impacts on potential increased enrollment at other sites
- Consider potential impacts on student learning and academic performance
- Consider potential impacts on staff due to school closure and consolidation
- Consider potential likelihood of losing students to other Districts, should their schools be closed.
- Communications and Community Input
Meeting agendas and information presented to the Committee will be available for public review and posted on our District’s website prior to the meeting. Minutes for each Committee meeting will also be posted on the District’s website. The School Board and the community at-large will also receive updates on the Consolidation process from the Superintendent.
Superintendent's School Consolidation Advisory Committee will be composed of stakeholder groups such as parents, community partners, principals, teachers, and support staff.
Meeting time & location:
4 – 6 p.m.
Quimby Oak Middle School Library - 3190 Quimby Rd., San Jose
*ESD Teacher Center - 3188 Quimby Rd., San Jose
Superintendent's School Consolidation Advisory Committee Meeting Dates:
*November 20, 2019
December 11, 2019
December 18, 2019
January 8, 2020
January 15, 2020
January 22, 2020
March 25, 2020
April 29, 2020
Due to the advisory nature of this committee, Superintendent's School Consolidation Advisory Committee meetings are not open to the public. However, the agenda and meeting notes will be made available on the SSCAC webpage. The dates of these meetings are listed as part of the Board of Trustee's approved process and timelines, and the committee may choose to hold additional meetings which are not listed. Opportunities for the stakeholders to get updates, voice concerns and ask questions will take place at the community information meetings, which are listed in the timeline.Subcommittees will meet concurrently and provide information and updates to the Superintendent's School Consolidation Committee throughout the process:
Community Information Meetings: The Superintendent will host stakeholder meetings to provide updates, answer questions, and listen to concerns community members may have. Additional meetings will be held as needed; The community information meeting dates are as follows:
Meeting time and location:
Time: 6 p.m.
Quimby Oak Gym - 3190 Quimby Rd., San Jose
*Quimby Oak Middle School Library - 3190 Quimby Rd., San Jose
December 19, 2019
January 16, 2020
*February 25, 2020