Home Safety: Emergency Preparedness
(From the City of San Jose website)
10 Ways You Can Be Disaster Prepared
- Learn which kinds of natural and human-caused disasters pose a risk for your area (earthquakes, fires, floods, etc.)
- Develop a Family Disaster Plan and put it in writing.
- Build Disaster Supply Kits for your home, office, and car.
- Choose an out-of-town contact person whom family members may call to report how and where they are during an emergency.
- Know where to go during an emergency; designate a park, school or other convenient location.
- Prepare your children and remember those with special needs, such as infants, seniors, and people with disabilities.
- Include your pets in your Family Disaster Plan.
- Eliminate hazards in your home and office.
- Learn how to keep yourself and your family safe by taking first aid, CPR and other preparedness classes.
- Get involved -- donate blood, educate your neighbors, and join your local Citizen Corps and volunteer!
For more information, please contact:
Office of Emergency Services
855 N. San Pedro Street
San Jose, CA 95110