For more information about our music program, please email Mrs. Kolber
Welcome to Chaboya’s Music Program! I am certain your experience will be rewarding and fun. I look forward to making music with you this year! Keep your eyes open for informative hand outs and flyers as the school year begins. The first few days may seem to be full of information, but be patient, you'll figure it out soon. Have fun learning. You will do great!
Music at Chaboya
This is a great time to make music! Enjoy your music experience at Chaboya Middle School and have fun. Remember "Excellence is not a place, it is a direction!" You're headed in the right direction when you join a music class!
Chaboya has an active music program with Symphonic and Concert Bands and a Percussion Ensemble led by Mrs. Karen Kolber. Beginning guitar is also offered as an elective class.
Music is for everyone! As the saying goes... "No one can whistle a symphony. It takes an orchestra to play it!"
TOP REASONS for sticking with BAND as you get ready for High School:
WHY IS CONTINUING IN BAND A GREAT IDEA?
- Band Students on average receive higher scores on the SAT and the ACT.
- More band students receive scholarships and awards than any other group.
- It enhances teamwork skills in a disciplined environment.
HOW DO UNIVERSITY ADMISSIONS VIEW BAND?
- They see music as a foreign language that you perform confidently.
- It is a sign of your integrity, time management, and commitment.
- Universities do not want to see students who bounce around from elective class to elective class. Never really throwing themselves into a single interest for their high school career.
SHOWING INVOLVEMENT IN CAMPUS LIFE
- You invest yourself in campus life while showing loyalty and school spirit.
- Universities like USC and Michigan have a very loyal school spirit atmosphere where alumni are all active in university life by donating money, attending performances, and sporting events.
- Being in band at the high school level builds this spirit of loyalty to the school. Being in band at the middle school level prepares you for high school level band.
DEMONSTRATION COMMITMENT AND DEDICATION!
- It’s waking up early so you can do an extra rehearsal.
- It’s staying after school to practice.
- It’s rehearsing or going to a competition on a Saturday.
- It’s taking your homework with you to football games or competitions.
- This is the exact commitment and dedication that universities want to see!
OTHER THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW:
- 65% of all music majors applying to medical school are accepted.
- There are 5X as many scholarships for academics than for sports.
- Universities view music students academically above average.
- In a survey of Fortune 500 CEO’s, 60% of CEO’s had a music background.
NO MATTER THE HIGH SCHOOL, JUST JOIN BAND!
- Students are always able to be in band all 4 years and take all the necessary AP classes for college.
- Top students around the nation manage to do it, That means you can too.
An Interview: Meet Mrs. Kolber
Interviewer: Who are you?
Mrs. Kolber: My name is Mrs. Karen Kolber. I am a music teacher at Chaboya Middle School. Band (Concert and Symphonic), guitar and ukulele are the subjects I teach at CMS. I ...more