Dear Colts Families,
These are difficult times for many in our community. As you are aware, due to the wildfire situation not improving throughout Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Alameda and San Mateo Counties and the rapid changes in evacuation orders our school campus will remain closed at this time. While the school site may be void staff and students, our teachers continue to work hard to provide an online learning experience that supports your child(s) academic and social-emotional growth. Distance learning will proceed!
As a reminder, this week we will begin following the Distance Learning schedule. Click on the appropriate link to see a copy of the schedule in English or Vietnamese. In addition, please review the Distance Learning Handbook with your student.
We understand that many in our community - including teachers - are undergoing stress and anxiety related to the impending wildfires. As a Colts Community, we empathize with both our families and our staff who may be dealing with evacuation and the potential loss of their homes. We understand that these circumstances may cause interruptions to both students attendance to class as well as staff providing online learning. If your family is dealing with these circumstances, thank you in advance for reaching out to us and letting staff know how we can support and so that attendance is marked appropriately. To reach the attendance clear, please email email@example.com. Thank you for your patience as employees take the time they need to deal with similar circumstances. We will do our best to place substitutes into classes to ensure coverage for our students. Additional resources of support are available through our site counselor, Beatris Fernandes and through our District Office.
Furthermore, starting tomorrow, August 24, Child Nutrition Services (CNS) will not be be distributing meals at our site. If you are in need of a lunch, please visit one of our other school sites in the District for a Grab-and-Go meal.
Finally, pictures and textbook distributions will continue this week to ensure students have materials for their classes. All distributions will take place at Dove Hill Elementary School. Refer to the revised schedule below for your students' pick-up time as well as the revised pick-up guidelines and protocols. Pick-up is still scheduled by first period teacher.
Textbook Distribution by First Period Class
Please note the following guidelines and protocols that will need to be followed:
- Families will enter the parking lot through Dove Hill's entrance driveway (off of Wally Pl. Way). Stay to the right of the driveway as you drive along the front of the school.
- Out of concern for the air quality, families, including students, will remain in their cars.
- At the designated area (in front of the multi-purpose room) a staff member will indicate when a student can exit their car and enter the multipurpose room to take their student picture and retrieve their Student ID Card.
- Students who have checked out materials from the 2019-2020 school year, including textbooks and library books, should return those materials during distribution days at a designated location prior to entering the gym.
- Families will wait in their car at the front of the school for their student.
- While students are in the multipurpose room, LifeTouch and school staff will instruct students on procedures, including wearing a face mask and keeping a six feet distance from other individuals. After a student's photo is taken, they will retrieve their ID Card, pick up their required textbooks/materials (including Colts Swag), and return to their car. We recommend bringing a bag to carry all the materials.
- Families will exit the parking lot on Colt Way.
- **If your child is still in need of a Chromebook, please park your car in the parking lot and accompany your child into the multipurpose room as directed by staff.
REMEMBER TO WEAR AND MASK, KEEP SIX FEET PHYSICAL DISTANCE FOR OTHERS, AND FAMILIES, STAY IN YOUR CARS.
GUIDELINES REMINDERS FOR SAFETY:
- Students must wear a face mask or covering. Wear gloves if you have them.
- A parent or a parent designee must drive their child to Chaboya.
Additional Distributions: In addition to the core class textbooks that students have/will be receiving, students in Band, Guitar, and Life Skills will need to pick up additional class materials on Thursday, August 27th at Dove Hill Elementary. Teachers will be sharing these distribution schedules in class. Please contact the teacher if you have any questions.
Dr. Marena Doxie
Principal Chaboya Middle School