Assistance for Families Experiencing Housing Instability

Housing Instability Parent Info

Leer o imprimir información en español

If your family lives in any of the following situations:

  • in a shelter
  • in a motel or campground because you have no alternative
  • in a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station
  • doubled up with other people because you cannot afford to live someplace else
  • in a garage or other living situation that does not have running water or toilet facilities

Your school-age children may qualify for protection under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.

If you believe your children may be eligible,
please complete this Student Residency Questionnaire.

Your eligible children have the right to:

  • Receive a free, appropriate public education
  • Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
  • Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
  • Enroll in the local school or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference.
    • If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and infom you of your right to appeal its decision.
  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
  • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children's needs.

You can also contact your child's school secretary or your local liaison, Kim Kianidehkian, if you believe your children may be eligible to find out what services and supports may be available. There also may be supports available for your preschool-age children.


Housing Information for Parents



Housing Information for Parents in Spanish