TK-8 District of Choice

Oral Health Assessment

Having a healthy mouth helps your child do well in school. To make sure your child is ready for school, California law Education Code Section 49452.8, requires that your child have an oral health assessment or dental check-up in his or her first year in public school (transitional kindergarten, kindergarten, or first grade). Every child needs an oral health assessment from a licensed dentist or other licensed or registered dental health professional, and a completed Oral Health Assessment form to meet this requirement.

If your child has not had an oral health assessment in the past 12 months, they will need one before May 31.

Have your child's dentist complete this Oral Health Assessment form,

If you cannot take your child for an oral health assessment, please fill out this Waiver of Oral Health Assessment Requirement form.

Please submit your completed form in Step 5 of the enrollment process.

Your child’s identity will not be in any report. Schools keep students’ health information private. You can get more copies of the forms from the California Department of Education website.

We want your child to be healthy and ready for school! Even though they fall out, baby teeth are very important. Children need healthy baby teeth to eat, talk, smile, and feel good about themselves. Children with cavities may have pain, difficulty eating, stop smiling, and have problems paying attention and learning at school.

Here is important advice to help your child stay healthy:

  • Take your child to the dentist. Dental check-ups can help keep your child’s mouth healthy and pain free.
  • Choose healthy foods for the entire family, like fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • Brush teeth at least twice a day with toothpaste that contains fluoride.
  • Limit candy and sweet drinks like punch, juice or soda. Sweet drinks and candy contain a lot of sugar, which causes cavities and leaves less room for your child to have healthy foods and drinks. Sweet drinks and candy can also cause weight problems, which may lead to other diseases, such as diabetes. Give your child healthy choices like water, milk, and fruit instead.

The following information will help you find a dentist: 

  1. You can call the Medi-Cal Telephone Service Center at 1-800-322-6384 or visit Smile California - Find a Dentist to find a dentist that accepts Medi-Cal. For help enrolling your child in Medi-Cal, you can apply by mail, go in person to your local Social Services office, or online at Apply for Medi-Cal.
  2. For additional resources that may be helpful, contact your local public health department. Click Apply for Health Coverage to find yours.

If you have questions about the new oral health assessment requirement, please email Amy Shaffer or Jessica Villalobos