Students are learning to communicate clearly for a range of purposes and environments, listen effectively to comprehend meaning, articulate thoughts through oral, non-verbal and written communication, use media and technologies effectively, and know how to judge their effectiveness and impact.
- Acknowledges multiple perspectives and conveys empathy in various exchanges.
- Employs active listening strategies to advance understanding.
- Speaks in a purposeful manner to inform, influence, motivate, or entertain listeners. Incorporates effective writing skills for various purposes and audiences.
- Uses technological skills and digital tools to exchange ideas.
- Expresses thoughts, ideas, and emotions meaningfully and creatively.
- I can restate and add on to what others say.
- I can synthesize the main points and reference key details after listening.
- I can ask thoughtful questions that develop or challenge a topic or line of reasoning.
- I can use tools to communicate.
- I can synthesize other’s opinions and perspectives.
Transitional Kindergarten - 2nd Grade
- I can listen and repeat what others say about the topic.
- I can retell the main idea and key details of a story.
- I can ask questions that help me understand what I am learning.
- I can communicate using different technology tools.
- I can relate to others thoughts and opinions.
3rd - 5th Grades
- I can listen, restate, and contribute my own ideas.
- I can identify the main idea and provide evidence to support the details.
- I can ask questions about another’s opinion to better understand their thinking.
- I can use a variety of technology tools to share thoughts, ideas, and information.
- I can listen to other’s opinions and try to understand their point of view.
6th - 8th Grades
- I can paraphrase and add pertinent information to discussions.
- I can sequence the main points and ideas, and provide evidence and support for them.
- I can think about what others have said and respond appropriately depending on whether I concur or disagree with the information presented.
- I can use technology to share information and communicate with others.
- I can summarize others’ points of view showing my understanding of their ideas.