A full day, teacher led classroom education model for kindergarten is offered at all our elementary schools. Each day, our teachers use individual and online learning approaches to help students gain reading, math, social and life skills, so they are prepared for the next grade level.
Full Day Kindergarten
The kindergarten year is an important time of transition for young children. It represents the first year of formal schooling for 98 percent of the children in the United States, and it marks the bridge between early childhood education and the primary grades of school. Full day kindergarten is available at all elementary schools in the Evergreen School District. To be eligible for kindergarten, your child must be 5 years old on or before September 1 of the current year.
Highlights of Teacher Led Classroom Instruction
- Support the learning of all children, whatever their earlier experiences, environments, cultures, languages, abilities, or disabilities
- Use district approved curriculum aligned to the Common Core State Standards.
- Staffed by degreed, certified educators who have high-quality professional preparation and relevant training or experience in the developmental and educational needs of young children Are guided by early learning standards that emphasize the concepts and skills appropriate to and important for the kindergarten year.
- Maintain class sizes sufficient to facilitate high-quality teaching.
- Implement a coherent, research-based curriculum delivered through evidence-based teaching practices that incorporate adult-guided and child-initiated experiences, play, physical activity, and social interaction.
- Foster the nurturing relationships and interactions between children and teachers that build the foundations for children's later learning.
- Systematically assess children's strengths, needs, and progress with multiple tools that are developmentally, culturally, and linguistically appropriate; analyze results, and use those data to inform teaching
- Create respectful relationships with families to support children's learning as well as work with families to help identify comprehensive services needed to promote TK and kindergartners' positive development and learning.
- Promote children's enthusiasm, initiative, persistence, and engagement in learning.
- Respond to the unique interests, learning styles, and developmental characteristics of children in their kindergarten year.
If you or someone you know would like to register in our full day kindergartner program, please visit our Enrollment and Registration page.
Questions and Answers
What is kindergarten and why is it important?
There is a large body of research that reinforces the life-long benefits of a high quality kindergarten program, which is what is provided in Evergreen School District. The kindergarten year is an important time of transition for young children.
How do students benefit from kindergarten?
There is a large body of research that reinforces the life-long benefits of a high quality kindergarten program, which is what is provided in Evergreen School District--this information summarizes that research:
- Children who learned more in kindergarten, compared to similar students, were less likely to be single parents, went to college in higher numbers, had higher incomes, and had retirement plans.
- The quality of teachers has a direct impact on the long-term success of students, not just on test scores. Evergreen’s traditional kindergarten programs provide students access to highly qualified teachers. Early school experiences may instill a belief in the value of education and a joy (or at least an appreciation) for learning, including building students' confidence in their competence and their ability to learn. These students may learn important life skills, such as motivation, discipline, patience, and persistence, all qualities that aren't directly assessed by testing.